Need To Pay For School?
The U.S. Department of Education offers federal grant funds for students at qualifying colleges, career schools, and universities. Grants are considered “gift aid” because they do not have to be repaid. Grants are typically need-based, which can help more students pay for school. Here are the major federal grants you may qualify for:
Federal Grant Program Program Details Annual Award
(subject to change)
Federal Pell Grant
  • Awarded to undergraduate students who have exceptional financial need and who have not earned a bachelor’s or graduate degree; in some cases, however, students enrolled in a postbaccalaureate teacher certification program might receive a Federal Pell Grant

  • Federal Pell Grant lifetime eligibility is limited to 12 semesters or the equivalent
Up to $6,095
Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
  • Awarded to undergraduate students who have exceptional financial need and who have not earned a bachelor’s or graduate degree

  • Federal Pell Grant recipients receive priority

  • Not all colleges participate in the FSEOG program

  • Funds depend on availability at the college; apply by your college’s deadline
Up to $4,000
Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant
  • For undergraduate, postbaccalaureate, or graduate students who are or will be taking coursework necessary to become elementary or secondary teachers

  • Must agree to serve, for a minimum of four years (within eight years of completing academic program), as a full-time teacher in a high-need field in a school or educational service agency that serves low-income students

  • Must attend a participating college and meet certain academic achievement requirements

  • Failure to complete the teaching service commitment will result in the grant being converted to a Direct Unsubsidized Loan that must be repaid
Up to $4,000
Iraq and Afghanistan
Service Grant
  • For students whose parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. armed forces and died as a result of performing military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after the events of 9/11

  • Must be ineligible for a Federal Pell Grant due only to having less financial need than is required to receive Pell funds

  • Must have been less than 24 years old or enrolled at least part-time at an institution of higher education at the time of the parent’s or guardian’s death
Up to $5,717.11 for grants first disbursed on or after Oct. 1, 2018, and before Oct. 1, 2019
To apply for the Federal Pell Grant, you will need to complete your Free Application For Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The amount you will receive depends on your financial needs, the cost to attend your school, and your status as a part-time or full-time student.
After you complete your FAFSA, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) with your Expected Family Contribution (EFC). Based on this information, your college will determine the amount of federal grants you can receive and include it in your financial aid package.